The year 1940 marked the end of the first decade of the club's new location. The "clubhouse" was now celebrating its tenth birthday and with it came the tradition of the annual rowboat races as depicted in photos 18 through 25. The race ran a course from the launching ramp, around the back of the club, and into the lagoon. Teams consisting of two members each took their mark at the top of the ramp, waited for the starting signal, and then rushed to their rowboats which were clustered together to create a bottleneck effect. The idea, of course, was to be the first one out of the choas, into the channel, and around to the lagoon. It's doubtful that there were any rules governing this pandemonium so that teams could use any and all strategies to win this coveted event. Some members would dress in drag to add to the hilarity and, all-in-all, good times were shared and memories were created.
Activities at the club apparently decreased somewhat with the advent and ensuing years of World War 11. Photo 13 is a clipping from a Port Jefferson newspaper which called attention to a U.S.O. dance held at S.B.Y.C. for the benefit of some forty men drawn from the ranks of the army and coast guard.
Photo 12 is actually an invitation to a Commodore's Night dated August 24, 1940. Although the club was twenty-seven years old at that time, it only had a roster of four past commodores since there were no by-laws in its Constitution absolutely limiting the term of that office. It wasn't until 1953 that commodores would generally serve a maximum term of two consecutive years. In fact, it was Duane "Ducky" Cole whose term as Commodore marked the beginning of that tradition. There was a time when members and their families regularly used the lagoon as their swimming hole. The lagoon itself did not see much expansion during the 1930's and 40's but plans were being formulated to increase its size.
Photo 14 (below) shows the front of the original club whose main entrance is the same that we use today. That rectangular white patch on the left entrance door is most likely daylight shining through the club's back windows. The slateroom, of course, did not yet exist and would not until the early 1960's.
As the 1940's drew to a close, new vista's would open for S.B.Y.C. in the form of expanding club facilities and membership. Some exciting growth lay ahead. Next ...